Preserving Canadians protected is the Authorities of Canada’s prime precedence. We all know that one Canadian killed by gun violence is one too many, which is why, two years in the past, we banned over 1,500 forms of military-style assault firearms. We additionally strengthened our gun management legal guidelines to develop background checks and maintain firearms out of the improper arms. These measures are serving to to maintain our youngsters and communities protected.
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, in the present day introduced the introduction of recent laws to additional strengthen gun management in Canada and maintain Canadians protected from gun violence. Invoice C-21 places ahead a number of the strongest gun management measures in over 40 years.
These new measures embody:
- Implementing a nationwide freeze on handguns to forestall people from bringing newly acquired handguns into Canada and from shopping for, promoting, and transferring handguns inside the nation.
- Taking away the firearms licenses of these concerned in acts of home violence or legal harassment, reminiscent of stalking.
- Preventing gun smuggling and trafficking by growing legal penalties, offering extra instruments for legislation enforcement to research firearms crimes, and strengthening border safety measures.
- Addressing intimate accomplice violence, gender-based violence, and self-harm involving firearms by creating a brand new “pink flag” legislation that will allow courts to require that people thought-about a hazard to themselves or others give up their firearms to legislation enforcement, whereas defending the protection of the person making use of to the pink flag course of, together with by defending their identification. As well as, the federal government will make investments $6.6 million to assist increase consciousness of the brand new legislation and supply helps to susceptible and marginalized teams to navigate the provisions.
Along with this new laws, the Authorities of Canada would require long-gun magazines to be completely altered to allow them to by no means maintain greater than 5 rounds and can ban the sale and switch of huge capability magazines underneath the Prison Code.
These are the measures that chiefs of police, households of survivors, medical doctors, and advocates have been asking us to take, and so they construct on the various concrete actions now we have already taken. The Authorities of Canada will work with provinces, territories, Indigenous communities, and municipalities to implement these measures, and can proceed to do no matter it takes to maintain weapons out of our communities and make Canada a safer nation for everybody.
“One Canadian killed by gun violence is one too many. I’ve seen all too nicely the tragic value that gun violence has in our communities throughout the nation. As we speak, we’re proposing a number of the strongest measures in Canadian historical past to maintain weapons out of our communities and construct a safer future for everybody.”
“We made a dedication to Canadians to deal with gun violence. The laws we launched in the present day is a part of our complete technique to advertise protected and accountable gun legal guidelines, spend money on legislation enforcement to cease organized crime and unlawful gun smuggling on the border, and to spend money on communities to deal with root causes and stop gun crime from occurring within the first place. This laws will assist to cut back gun violence and maintain Canadians protected.”
“Violent crime involving firearms has devastating impacts on communities throughout the nation. This invoice combines evidence-based insurance policies and more durable Prison Code penalties, amongst different measures, to higher shield our communities. This consists of people who find themselves susceptible to intimate accomplice violence and gender-based violence, and people who are susceptible to hurting themselves. That’s what we promised we might do, and that’s what we’re doing with this invoice.”
- To make sure the nationwide freeze on handguns will be applied swiftly, the Minister of Public Security has already tabled regulatory amendments in each the Home of Commons and the Senate. These rules will assist cease the expansion of personally owned handguns in Canada and are anticipated to return into pressure in Fall 2022.
- In 2020, the Prime Minister introduced the ban of over 1,500 fashions and variants of assault-style firearms. A buyback program can be launched to supply honest compensation to affected homeowners and companies.
- Going ahead, we can even guarantee military-style assault weapons are routinely prohibited once they enter the market. We are going to proceed working to make sure any new weapons that match the definition of assault-style weapons are captured.
- Earlier this yr, the federal government introduced an funding of $250 million by way of the Constructing Safer Communities Fund (BSCF) to assist communities throughout the nation stop gun and gang violence by tackling its root causes, notably for at-risk kids.
- Funds 2021 offered greater than $312 million in new funding to extend firearms tracing capability and implement stronger border management measures to combat gun smuggling and trafficking. Legislation enforcement businesses hidden greater than double the variety of firearms on the border in 2021, in comparison with 2020, which can be the best variety of firearms hidden lately.
- The variety of registered handguns in Canada elevated by 71 per cent between 2010 and 2020, reaching roughly 1.1 million. Handguns had been probably the most critical weapon current within the majority of firearm-related violent crimes (59 per cent) between 2009 and 2020.
- In 2018, firearms had been current in over 600 intimate accomplice violence incidents in Canada. Victims of intimate accomplice violence are roughly 5 occasions extra more likely to be killed when a firearm is current within the house.