About Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Symbiosis Law School, Pune (SLS-Pune) stands for excellence in legal education and is nestled in the city of Pune. Symbiosis Law School, Pune, is a constituent of Symbiosis International (Deemed University) and is one of the distinguished law schools in the country. Established in 1977, SLS-Pune, in a journey of 46 years has achieved various milestones in teaching, learning, research, and value inculcation. These novel practices have ensured a bright future for its highly intellectual legal minds.
About the Competition
After receiving an overwhelming response in the previous seven editions of Symbiosis Law School, Pune – International Criminal Trial Advocacy Competition, Symbiosis Law School, Pune is organizing the Eighth Edition of the Symbiosis Law School, Pune – International Criminal Trial Advocacy Competition, 2023 [SICTA-2023] which is scheduled from April 20–23, 2023. The Competition will be held on a virtual platform.
Competition is based on the simulation of the Trial Chamber of the International Criminal Court and maintains the rules and structure as enshrined in the Rome Statute of the ICC. The theme for the Eighth edition of SICTA is “A theory of prohibition against the use of thermobaric weapons using the existing framework of the applicable treaty and customary law, and the impact on the legal status of a non-combatant that civilians enjoy under the international laws of war due to participation in hospitality through social media conduits.”
The competition shall be open to all students actively enrolled in Bachelor (5 Year Course and 3 Year Course) and Master’s Program of Law. Exchange students may participate on behalf of their host university.
The Competition shall have teams representing either of the three sides- Prosecution, Defense and the Victim(s) in the various rounds of the Competition. The maximum number of participants per team shall be restricted to Three (Two Speakers and a Researcher). A team may also consist of only Two Speakers.
The Competition will be held on a virtual platform.
It is an INVITE – ONLY Competition and is limited to 27 teams. The registration is based on a first come first serve basis. The prospective teams should provisionally register for the Competition by sending an email to [email protected] on or before February 15, 2023 (23:59 IST). The subject of the email should be “Provisional Registration for the SLSP – International Criminal Trial Advocacy Competition, 2023”. The final registration by the participants must be completed by February 28, 2023. Kindly refer to the “Registration” section in the Rulebook for further details.
Fee Payment Details
The registration fee is Rs. 5000/- per team (not more than 3 members).
The mode of payment and corresponding details for the registration fee shall be conveyed to the participants along with the official confirmation of their provisional registration.
1. Last date for Provisional Registration: February 15, 2023
2. Last date for Final Registration: February 28, 2023
3. Last Date to seek Clarifications: March 03, 2023
4. Release of Clarifications: March 13, 2023
5. Submission of Memorials: April 10, 2023
6. Oral Rounds of the Competition: April 20-23, 2023
There shall be three Preliminary rounds followed by the Semi-Final Rounds and the Final Round.
The primary components of a round will include:
- Opening Statements by the Prosecutor and Defense Counsel and Victim Counsel’s Application for Recharacterization of Facts.
- Examination-In-Chief/Cross Examination by the Prosecutor, Counsel for the Victims, and the Counsel for the Defense.
- Closing Statements by the Prosecutor, Counsel for the Victims, and the Counsel for the Defense.
- Winning Team: Rs.60,000/-
- First Runners Up Team: Rs.30,000/-
- Second Runners Up Team: Rs.15,000/-
- Best Student Advocate: Rs. 10,000/-
- Best Student Advocate of Finals: Rs. 6,000/-
- Second Best Student Advocate: Rs. 6,000/-
- Adv. Manan Sanghai Best Defense Advocate Award- International: Rs. 12,000/-
- Adv. Manan Sanghai Best Defense Advocate Award- Indian: Rs. 6000/-
- Best Memorial: Rs. 10,000/-
- Second Best Memorial: Rs. 6,000/-
- Shree PV Ramanayaa Memorial- Best Prosecutor Award: Rs. 5,000/-
- Best Witness Award: Rs. 5000/-
- Second Best Witness Award: Rs. 3000/-
Email ID: [email protected]
For any further queries, kindly reach out to the following members of the Organizing Committee:
1) Gaurav Lalwani, Convenor, SICTA, 2023 (+91 97908 04125; [email protected])
2) Pavanaj Hariharan, Head, Registration and Invitation Committee, SICTA, 2023 (+91 97409 84747; [email protected])
For important documents, click here.